Beautiful in My Eyes

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Beautiful Gratitude

This past Sunday I attended my son's ward. During the last meeting, a lovely woman approached and asked my daughter-in-law to introduce me. She told the woman I was her mother-in-law. The woman- with a surprised look on her face- squatted down next to me and said, "Wow! You're her mother-in-law? You're beautiful and you barely look twenty-five!"
In the past I would have responded to the compliment by pointing out my flaws, but I have since learned to simply say thank you, feeling gratitude in my heart for the looks I still have, despite having no hair beneath my wigs. I try to happily embrace every kind word spoken and each compliment given, because they are always given in sincerity.
And this is my challenge to you. The next time someone pays you a compliment, instead of immediately dwelling on your flaws, thank them and embrace it. Because sometimes others see in us qualities that we never do, and those closest to us have a clearer vision and see even more:-)

Beautiful In My Eyes
Excerpt

Three years ago.
Glasgow, Scotland
Famished after a long day of shopping, we stopped in a pub to grab a quick bite before heading back to the bed and breakfast we were staying at. The place had just started getting busy when this tall, muscular, drop-dead gorgeous man walked up on the small stage with his guitar and started singing. He was amazing! My eyes immediately connected with his and stayed connected for the entire hour. I was glued to my seat. Our food was long gone and my friends had been ready to leave for some time, but their attempts to get me to leave were futile. The Scottish god and I smiled at one another the entire time. It was as if we were the only two people there and he was singing just for me. Little did I know he was the owner of the pub, as well as a few others scattered all over Scotland.
As soon as his set was done, he approached my table. He had looked astounding on stage, but up close he was walking perfection!
He greeted the four of us, but his gaze was still fixed on me. “I'm Julian Mackenzie,” he said, introducing himself, and before I could give him my name in return he asked, “Do ye believe in love at first sight, love? Please tell me ye do, darlin', because if ye should get up an' leave, ye will be takin' ma heart with ye.”
My friends sighed and giggled like school girls.
Really?” I said, smiling.
Oh, aye. I cannae let ye get awa' now. T'would be the death o me, an' ye wouldnae wan' tha' on yer conscience now, would ye?”
No, I wouldn't want that.”
Then we are in agreement. For the sake o ma health, ye must stay til I can see ye back safely ta where yer goin', and then ye must promise me the opportunity ta win yer heart for ma own.”
Girls, I think that's our cue,” my friend, Merrilyn said. “Good to meet you,” she gushed, ushering the others away from the table. “See you later, Giselle.”
Giselle, is it?” Julian said, his smile wide. “A bonnie name for a verra bonnie lassie.”
My face grew warmer. “Thank you. And you are an ummm . . . bonnie laddie . . . did I say that right?”
Och, aye. An' I thank ye, Giselle. Now, gettin' back ta ma heart, tis at this verra moment beatin' only for ye, an' if I donnae make ye mine, ye may as weel bury me because the life will be bleedin' right oot o me.”
So, are you saying I would be saving you life?”
Aye, tha's the truth o it.”
I heave a dramatic sigh. “Well, I guess I should do my part in helping to preserve your life.”
He grins. “Aye. I thank ye, fair Giselle.” He held a strong hand out to me and I placed mine in it, basking in the warmth of his smile as he closed his fingers around mine.
And that was it for me. My heart was already his and I hadn't even given him my last name. With his lightly-bearded face, brilliant blue eyes, muscular physique, and lush black hair, which was secured in a ponytail, I should have automatically assumed this was a rehearsed come-on, but the intensity of his gaze said it wasn't. We truly claimed one another's hearts that night.

3 comments:

  1. I have sometimes not taken a comment from someone else seriously. But when I do, miracles happen! Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

    BTW, LOVE the video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all ready a filler and #1 fan. I love your books. Please keep writing.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete